Monday, May 6, 2013

Erik Gets a Workout



Lanna Muay Thai Boxing is known world wide in and outside of ""Muay Thai" boxing as the training camp of Thailand's famous "ladyboy boxer" who trained here, starting as a child, before going on to become world champion.

More on that fascinating and unique Thai story, later.

This was Erik's day!



We arrived in Chang Khiang, a charming Thai town fifteen minutes outside Chiang Mai where we're staying.

I'd been interested in learning something more of Thai boxing as I'd once trained, myself, in Tang Soo Do style martial arts, and was curious to see how the training compared.

We learned we'd have to return at 4:00 to see training in progress, but also that Erik could try out a one day session, per the schedule below.

But would he do it?




Not only did Erik decide to train, but he did extraordinarily well from the perspective of someone who spent seven years training in a similar sport.

I very much sensed a natural talent the likes of which I'd never seen in my training experience...



My suspicions were confirmed, two hours later, when Master Thai Trainer "Dynamite" (need to find his real name!) told me in his broken English that Erik is not at all inclined to back down, and proposed he spend a month with him, in training, to learn more of his potential.

A truly amazing day and shared event for us both to record.

Again, I'll hope to upload some video soon.

2 comments:

  1. I see a Mexican flag in one of the pictures, I wonder why?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Paz. Greetings from Thailand.

    Many nationalities are represented at the gym and I suspect this is their way of honoring that.

    The spirit of that gym is truly universal.

    ReplyDelete