Wednesday, May 15, 2013

A Recollection of Vietnamese Images





On our bus trip to Halong Bay and Cat Ba Island, I had my first opportunity to personally witness the Vietnamese landscape on a hot, hazy, humid and grey day in Hanoi that brought back memories of the years of television images I remember as a child.  

I already know that  it will be difficult, if not impossible, to reconcile those images in my mind's eye with the Vietnam I'm witnessing firsthand today. 




Let me say  only, to those veterans of that war - on both sides - I offer my sincere wishes that they've now found peace in their lives.  

And to my American brothers and sisters, who fought on my/our behalf,  i extend a heartfelt "thank you.



Postscript: This post is a tribute to my college friend, Nam Van Dang. 

Nam's family - with the exception of his older brother - was lost to him during the fall of Saigon.  

Despite this severe life blow,  I never heard him utter a single complaint; 

Nam displayed only courage and random acts of kindness to the people of his new country.  

During our time together in college, this gentle but highly determined "old soul" taught himself classical guitar - which he played beautifully - and then offered to teach me.




I miss my friend, Nam, and hope the world has been kind to him.  

No comments:

Post a Comment