Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Hanging Out in the Royal Palace



My outstanding Thai guide told me that maybe only 20 percent of that story was true!



Strolling the huge compound
Nd under the blazing hot sun, I got to test some of my "wicking wicked" awesome new REI wardrobe. It works!




My guide was delighted to tell us of all the Gods and demons in colorful Thai history, including this part God part chicle hybrid model.



This is a curious architectural detail of the Royal "changing room" on site. The Prince is carried in on one side and then is carried out on the back of an elephant - preferably white - all facilitated by this handy loading dock.

Before becoming Thailand, this country was called Siam. Perhaps you know the famous story of Anna, one of the first successful expatriates, and her relationship with the Kin of Siam?

The Royal Palace was opened in 1782 and further developed by successor kings including Rama IV of "The Kimg and I" fame.

1 comment:

  1. Amazing photographs Peter. Really enjoying seeing all these sights through your perspective and comments. Keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete